Wednesday 25 July 2012

Aligning Actions with Intentions

I recently wrote out my purpose and goals for many areas of my life including career, financial, fitness & health, relationships, etc.  I love doing this because I feel excited about my future!  One of the principles that I've learned to work with from trainings and workshops at Breath Integration is 'Thought is Creative'.

The formula we use is Thoughts + Emotion + Action = Results  (T + E + A = R)

A common misconception about 'Thought is Creative' is that you simply need to think about what you want, and want it really really badly, and that will create the results you want.  (If this works for you, then please tell me how!)  However, in my experience I need to check in with what I'm feeling (Emotion) and what steps I'm taking (Action) in order to achieve the results I'm looking for.

Lately, I've been really paying attention to my actions and whether or not they align with my long term goals.  For example: if I say I want a beach body, but I'm always eating at McDonalds - then I think it's pretty obvious that my actions don't align with my intention.  If I say I want a committed, life-long relationship with my partner and I continue to spend time/energy on my ex-boyfriends - chances are I'm not going to get the result I want either.  In order to create the results I want, I need to align my actions with my intentions.  If they are out of alignment, this can mean one of two things - I either need to adjust my actions so that a logical result of my actions would be the outcome I'm targeting, or I need to revisit my goals.  If eating at McDonalds a few times a week is important to me, then maybe I need to be a bit more realistic about whether or not a beach body is actually in my future.

This week I'm really paying attention to my actions, and doing my very best to act with intent!  I've really had to look at certain behaviours, and question whether or not they bring me closer to where I want to be in my life.  When they don't, it's been hard at times to let go of some long standing behaviours.  But it feels like a short term struggle because I know the more attention I pay to what I want, how I feel about it and what I'm doing to achieve it - the closer I am to creating all that I want for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment