Tuesday 7 February 2012

"You can't change the cards you're dealt, just how you play the hand"

I turn 30 this month, and as such, I feel it is important for me to take all 29 days in February to celebrate the years that have past and the many more to come.  Naturally, I was excited to start my birth month celebrations when I woke up on February 1st - I just knew it was going to be a memorable month!  Needless to say, I didn't expect what was waiting for me when I arrived at work that morning.  My boss has unexpectedly travelled in from out of town and promptly handed me a letter informing me that my employment was being terminated effective immediately.  No warning, no reason - just pack up and get out.

I was completely shocked - was this really happening?  It felt like the rug had been pulled out from underneath me.  Like all I had done over the last two years meant nothing.  But as the shock wore off and my balance returned, I began to see the truth of my situation. I have my health, the love of family and friends, education, experience and a passion for improving myself and the world.  I also believe that opportunities present themselves in all sorts of crazy ways -  and that they rarely look like we want them to. I think Randy Pausch said it best in his Last Lecture:


"You can't change the cards you're dealt, just how you play the hand."

(if you aren't familiar with Randy Pausch, I HIGHLY recommend you take the time to watch his lecture on YouTube)



So instead of complaining about the cards I've been dealt, I'm doing my best to look at the options of the cards I'm holding.  It's a big world out there, and there are tons of opportunities to create the life of my dreams - this job never defined me, although there were times I believed it did.  I've learned so much about myself over the last couple years and I want to share my experience in hopes that I can help others grow too.  Many of these lessons often came at the price of me putting a foot (and sometimes two!) in my mouth, so hopefully I can save you the trouble!  If I'm too late to save you the same trouble then at least you know you aren't alone!  Through this blog, I'm hoping to show that there is humour in some of our crazy ways, and that you can find a silver lining to many of life's curveballs.

3 comments:

  1. Way to handle a tough situation with stride.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrongful dismissal, perchance? Were you given adequate severance?

    ReplyDelete